Originally published at: https://www.onlyoffice.com/blog/2022/05/onlyoffice-integrates-doc2md/
The integration of Doc2md to ONLYOFFICE Docs provides users with new tool to easily export a text doc to Markdown. Read on for more information.
Doc2md is a lightweight docstring to Markdown converter. This free open-source utility extracts docstrings from a module or class and throws them into a simple GitHub Flavoured Markdown document, quickly generating README.md files.
This add-on was created by Thomas Gläßle, a physicist, enthusiast programmer and free software cultist. Docs to Markdown is helpful for teams that want to use Document Editor for the collaboration features, but also need Markdown-formatted plain text to publish to a website.
Apart from the fact that use of Doc to Markdown is the easiest way to quickly export docstrings and get a markdown file, the plugin has other advantages for users:
- Ability to convert a large document or just a small part of it without any manual work.
- Enjoy automatic formatting for links, tables, lists, spelling correction, and capitalization of words.
- Collaborate on the same input with your colleagues and share results.
How to use the plugin
The plugin integrates Doc2md service in ONLYOFFICE Docs, so you don’t need to leave the editor and launch any additional applications.
- Open up a document in the Document Editor.
- Select Doc2md on the Plugins tab.
- Choose only a part of the document if you want to convert the exact selection. Otherwise, the entire document will be converted.
- Use the Markdown or HTML buttons in the sidebar window to export your document to either Markdown or HTML. After you select the convert option, the formatted version of your document will appear in a sidebar.
- Copy and paste the content into another application. Close the sidebar when you finish.
The add-on is specific when it comes to syntax, and there’s no way to customize how the add-on outputs text to Markdown.
How to install new plugin
Make audio & video calls with Jitsi plugin
New plugin for team communication: get Rainbow
Create charts, mind maps, diagrams, and infographics with Draw.io
Check ONLYOFFICE App Directory to find all useful plugins and apps
Plugins in ONLYOFFICE: a quick start guide for developers. Read on
Want to build your own plugin? Refer to our API documentation.
Have already built one and would like to add it to the App Directory? You’re welcome to email us with a description of your plugin.