Location of Desktop Editors document template in macOS

Where are the default document, spreadsheet, and presentation templates located in macOS? My concern currently is limited to the document template, which for my purposes requires multiple modifications: font and font size, page size, margins, line spacing, and unit of measurement. I found the templates in linux but cannot find them in macOS.

If modification of the document template is not possible in macOS, please consider this a feature request.

OS version: macOS 13.1 “Ventura” (latest update)
App version: 7.2.1
Downloaded from: ONLYOFFICE website

Hello @davidd
They’re located here: /Applications/ONLYOFFICE.app/Contents/Resources/converter/empty/

Thank you! I never would have thought to look within the package contents. Now I have the default document customized and read-only – as I was able to do with Linux. Eventually, I will search for it in Windows and get back to you if I cannot find it. Thanks again.

1 Like

Read-only? It should be available for editing because templates are used for new files creation. If I misunderstood it, please clarify it.
As for Windows, templates are located here: Program Files\ONLYOFFICE\DesktopEditors\converter\empty

I made it read-only to guarantee that it would not be overwritten when I saved a document created from the template “new.docx.” In reality, though, it does not matter if it is read-write or read-only, as the result is the same: a file system opens for the purpose of navigating to the location for the newly created document.

Thanks for the follow-up question, Alexandre. It helped me to clarify the file attributes in my own thinking.

As a side issue, I have discovered that, in the case of a Linux distribution that has ONLYOFFICE available only as a Flatpak, the location of the template is extraordinarily difficult to find. Here is where I found it after installing in Fedora 37 Cinnamon:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.onlyoffice.desktopeditors/x86_64/stable/b0617…/files/bin/opt/onlyoffice/desktopeditors/converter/empty.

For comparison, downloading and installing the RPM directly from the ONLYOFFICE website, the location is /opt/onlyoffice/desktopeditors/converter/empty. Far easier!

David

As a side issue, I have discovered that, in the case of a Linux distribution that has ONLYOFFICE available only as a Flatpak, the location of the template is extraordinarily difficult to find. Here is where I found it after installing in Fedora 37 Cinnamon:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.onlyoffice.desktopeditors/x86_64/stable/b0617…/files/bin/opt/onlyoffice/desktopeditors/converter/empty.

For comparison, downloading and installing the RPM directly from the ONLYOFFICE website, the location is /opt/onlyoffice/desktopeditors/converter/empty. Far easier!

Understood, but I’m not sure that we can change it. This path in flatpak installation is related to flatpak hierarchy system of installed apps. We had to follow it to release the Desktop Editors on the flatpak.
Anyway, we are glad that you managed to resolve the issue. Please feel free to contact us if you face any issues.

I understand that you cannot change what Flathub does. It’s OK. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Alexandre,
Is it possible to add localized empty template files to the Desktop Editors installer?

We are using OnlyOffice on Windows and Linux, and the standard installation does not include Hungarian files (hu-HU locale in converter/empty folder). I created them, but these get removed everytime the package is updated. It would be much more convenient if the installer could include them also.

Hello @Zizidor
We already thought about it, but from different point of view. We are planning to add the ability to prevent custom templates from removing during the update process. I will update this thread when we have something to share.