Using Symlink for e.g. /var/www/onlyoffice - Documents keep buffering

Hi!

First of all some general information.

Type of installation of Workspace: DEB/RPM
Browser Version: Chrome (92.0.4515.159)
LVM: /mnt/data/

I’ve just installed Workspace Enterprise by using the given script on a local hosted VM.
In order to be able to expand the storage dynamically, I integrated a LVM and created symlinks to the actual paths.

cd /mnt/data/
mkdir mysql
mkdir postgresql
mkdir onlyoffice

For each of the created directories, I changed the owner and changed the persmissions (as they actually are).

chown -R onlyoffice:onlyoffice onlyoffice/
chown -R postgres:postgres postgresql/
chown -R mysql:mysql mysql/

Then I moved the old directories, created the symlinks and copied the content.

mv /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql_bak
ln -s /mnt/data/mysql .
cp -r /var/lib/mysql_bak/* /var/lib/mysql

The same goes for /var/lib/postgresql and /var/www/onlyoffice.

The problem is: When I for example create a new document the document keeps buffering and does not open for editing purposes at all (sample documents are not working as well).

Is this a known issue? Isn’t it possible to use symlinks for ONLYOFFICE?

Did I forget something (permissions or something else)?

I already tested:

• chmod 777
  • deleting symlink and recreating an ordinary directory (onlyoffice)
  • chown on symlink

None of that worked.

Thanks in advance,
McShadow

Hello McShadow.

Please note, we didn’t test such installation. There haven’t been enough tests with symlinks, the probability of encountering an error is extremely high. Unfortunately, we can’t provide any guarantee of stable work.

As for the main issue (‘Documents keep buffering’), please provide us with additional information:

1. Please reproduce the issue with open browser console :
  • Open browser console (for example, F12 in Chrome) → choose ‘Network’ tab in browser console → reproduce the issue (create a file) → check if there are any error entries in console and make a screenshot;

• Choose ‘Console’ tab in browser console → reproduce the issue → check if there are any error entries in console and make a screenshot.

1. Please provide us with whole Document server logs folder. It’s located here: /var/log/onlyoffice/documentserver/

By the way, if you have valid commercial license it’s better to contact us via helpdesk.onlyoffice.com to get prompt replies to your requests.

Hi!

Thank you for your quick reply. FYI the browser console does not show any entries and going through the logs takes too much time.

So I decided to reinstall to test it without any symlinks. Then I mounted the directories (/var/www/onlyoffice, /var/lib/mysql and /var/lib/postgresql) via fstab to my 2nd partition and rebooted.

This works just fine so far.

Best Regards,
McShadow

Ok, if you face any issues, please let us know.

1 Like