User connection limitation on Onlyoffice Groups CE and Onlyoffice Docs CE

I want to ask a question about user limitation on Onlyoffice Groups CommunityEdition and Onlyoffice Docs.
As i see in this link Сравнение версий | ONLYOFFICE Docs Onlyoffice Docs Community edition has user connection limitation of 20 users.
Can i use more than 20 users in my Porject module in Onlyoffice Groups Community edition (not in Onlyoffice Docs)?
What can be happened if more than 20 users have access to Onlyoffice Docs?
Can you advise what hardware requirements should i use to have more than 30 users on the server? Is it enough 4GB RAM and 2 core for noramal work or should i raise it? Maybe do you have advanced requirements for more than 30/60 users?
Thank you in advance!
Community Server/Control Panel version: Onlyoffice Groups 11.5.2/Control pannel version 3.0.0.381
Type of installation of Workspace: installation script Installing ONLYOFFICE Groups for Red Hat, CentOS, and derivatives - ONLYOFFICE
Browser version: no matter

Hello titarenko.

Can i use more than 20 users in my Porject module in Onlyoffice Groups Community edition (not in Onlyoffice Docs)?

Yes.

I think a more extensive explanation is needed here. Groups is a portal solution which can use Document server. You can add more than 20 users to the portal and all of them can use portal features.

But, if we are talking about files editing in case of using Docs CE, then the numbers of simultaneous connections are equal 20.

What does this mean in practice? Please go to Document module and open any file. One opened file for editing = one simultaneous connection. You can open one file in 20 tabs or 20 different files in 20 browser tabs. That means you are using 20 simultaneous connection.

Another example. 5 your portal users are editing one xlsx file at the same time. All of them have opened this file in browser. That means 5 simultaneous connections. As you see, Docs CE and Groups CE have different ways of counting the number of users. So, yes, number of portal users can be more than 20.

NB! Please note, if you are editing a file which is located in Projects module, CRM, etc, then this action also counts as editing by Document server.

What can be happened if more than 20 users have access to Onlyoffice Docs?

21st user will open a file in ‘read-only’ mode.

Can you advise what hardware requirements should i use to have more than 30 users on the server? Is it enough 4GB RAM and 2 core for noramal work or should i raise it? Maybe do you have advanced requirements for more than 30/60 users?

First of all, please take a look at your HDD free space. According to personal experience, even 50 portal users can generate a large amount of data. In this case, 20 Gb free hard drive space which we pointed in our guides for Groups won’t be enough.

As for CPU and RAM. If Groups is deployed separatly (Document server deployed on the different server), 8GB RAM and Quad core processor running at 2.8 GHz should be enough for 60 users.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for so extensive answer! It is very helpfull.

1 Like