Unable to Set Up Automatic Font Replacement in OnlyOffice

Hello,

I am facing an issue with setting up automatic font substitution on the OnlyOffice server.

On our OnlyOffice Document Server (v. 7.0-ee deployed through Docker), I am unable to configure automatic font substitution when certain fonts are missing. The problem is that if a specific font is not available, the system does not replace it with the designated fallback font.

I’ve tried configuring fonts through Fontconfig, but it did not work. Here is an example of the Fontconfig configuration file I used:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
    <match target="pattern">
        <test name="family" qual="any">
            <string><<Malgun Gothic</string>
        </test>
        <edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same">
            <string>Times New Roman</string>
        </edit>
    </match>
</fontconfig>

After making these changes, I updated the font cache using the sudo fc-cache -fv command, but the issue was not resolved. I suspect that OnlyOffice might be using its own font rendering engine, which might be why the Fontconfig changes are not taking effect. Is this possible?

I have noticed that LibreOffice has a feature for automatic font substitution, and it works correctly (please see the attached screenshot). I would like to know if there is a similar feature in OnlyOffice, or how this issue can be resolved.

Hi @Evgenii :wave:
Thank you for your suggestion!

We have already received a similar request for implementation.
Unfortunately, we don’t have a specific timeline for this feature yet.

However, I’ve added you to the list of interested users. We will keep you updated on any progress.

I see that you are using ONLYOFFICE Document Server EE. I would also like to remind you that for users with commercial licenses, it’s better to contact us via Zendesk (https://onlyofficesupport.zendesk.com/) to get prompt replies.