Cloud Computing Insider Awards 2022: Vote for ONLYOFFICE
Vote for ONLYOFFICE

Unable to enter text in app after switching windows without clicking first

Do you want to: Suggest a feature / Report a bug / Ask a how-to question
For feature suggestions, describe the result you would like to achieve in detail.
For bug reports, provide the steps to reproduce and if possible a minimal demo of the problem.
OS version: Windows 10
App version: 7.1.0.215
Downloaded from: ONLYOFFICE website / Other (specify): ONLYOFFICE Website

The problem: After switching from another window/application, the document editor does not allow me to enter text using the keyboard.

Steps to replicate: Start from the desktop editors → switch to another app, let’s say a web browser using either keyboard shortcut or mouse → switch back to desktop editors using either of the methods → attempt to write something in the document editor which shows blinking cursor highlighting the location of the cursor and that the doc editor is in focus → No input detected, even after waiting for a while.

Workaround currently available: I need to click on the blinking cursor and then the input is detected.

Expected results: If I switch back to desktop editors from any app using the keyboard or mouse, I should be able to directly type in whatever I want without having to click on the document. Other office suites like Libreoffice, MS office allow this. It is a hassle to constantly reach out to my mouse just so I can write something in a document which is already in focus.

Additional details: I open files in tabs. When I switch between tabs of files, I can continue writing without having to click first. This problem only occurs when switching between a window of a separate app and the desktop editors. Input into spreadsheet seems to work

Hello @Suharto
I am trying to reproduce the issue, but without success at the moment. Could you please record a videofile?

This seems to only happen occasionally, not always. And it seems to happen always with the documents I had created earlier with Microsoft Word 2016. The formatting stays the same, which is excellent, but this issue comes back once in a while. If I restart the entire DesktopEditors app, the issue seems to go away. Again it comes up when I am least expecting it. I am attaching a screen recording and for obvious reasons I cannot show that I am typing. But once in the document editor app, please assume that I am typing. Only after clicking is the input being recognized.

@Suharto
Please pay attention that you have added a screenshot to your post. Please provide us with videofile. You can place it to any external storage and provide us with download link

@Alexandre I did not notice it. Attaching the drive link to the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gh04q5ZvKEXAha4p_jRTgG5ryx7Oq38v/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for the videofile. I will update this post when we have something to share.

1 Like

@Suharto
We found a match with known issue (bug number - 56672). We are working on it already.
Sorry for inconvenience.

1 Like

@Alexandre
That’s great! This was my first bug report for a FOSS software and I thoroughly loved the experience. The software is great and I am looking forward to this issue being resolved. Keep up the great work!

1 Like