Suggestion - Spreadsheet - a picture could be set to fit the cell's size or to be it's bakcground

Hello
I’m making a list of books in a spreadsheet.
I want to add a picture of the cover on the line of each book.
When I insert the picture, it is bigger than the cell I’m putting it in.
So, it would be nice to have an option to make the picture size match with the size of the cell.

I was not aware of it but after checking, LO has that kind of functionnality:

I think OO could go one step further and add the possibility to make it permanent, meaning that if the cell is resized, so be the picture.
An other way to see it is to consider/make the picture the background of the cell.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Hello again

I went a little further and search in the pictures’ advanced options and found what seems to be what I’m looking for.
First comment : it is way to long to get this option. As far as I see, there is plenty of room in the sidebar for pictures options, so why hiding it behind so many clicks ?
Second comment: it looks like it is not properly working :frowning::
editors_20240420-08h13min03s

So rather than a suggestion, I assume this is a bug :slight_smile:

Hello again again :slight_smile:
Went a little further in my tests and understood how things indeed work (cause they are working :clap: ).
Actually the picture is resized when the cell becomes smaller than the picture.
So back to my initial suggestion : like in LO, it would be nice to have an option to quickly have the picture to match the cell’s size:
soffice.bin_20240420-08h20min53s
It would be a real time-saver.

Thanks !
PS : I leave my 3 posts and don’t edit them in one because I assume that it could help someone having the same expectation to understand how things work in OO.

Hello @arcqus

We are taking closer look at your suggestion on add possibility to fit the image to the cell.

Please note that Cell snapping > Move and size with cells works when image is positioned above multiple cells. If the image located visually above one cell it does not change, this is expected behavior.

Hi @Constantine
As I mentioned in my 3rd post, I think it is indeed working :slight_smile:.
It just took me some time to figure out how.
However, I still think it’s really a long way to get the picture to fit the size of the cell. So I hope my suggestion will be implemented.

1 Like

I’d like to inform that similar suggestion was registered earlier, we have added your request to it. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like