Request vServer - Document Server ONLYOFFICE for Nextcloud

Hi everyone,

I’ve been browsing through the forum and the documentation of the individual platforms for a while now, but I haven’t found my answers yet.

I have been using ONLYOFFICE on my Nextcloud for some time now, which I get directly from Hetzner. However, as many people have already written here or in other forums, I have also repeatedly had the problem that the files were not saved and the work statuses were then lost. Since then, my temporary solution has been to create the file online, edit it and then save and upload it externally.

Now I no longer want to work like this, so I have the following questions (private use / 2-3 simultaneous accesses):

1. What requirements must a vServer have so that I can install a Document Server for ONLYOFFICE and run it well?

2. If I run such a document server on a vServer, what data will run from my Nextcloud via this server?

Best regards
crasher

Hi @crasher :wave:

1.1 ONLYOFFICE Docs Community Edition for Linux system requirements
1.2 ONLYOFFICE Docs Community Edition for Docker system requirements

1. How it works in Nextcloud ONLYOFFICE integration app

In short, the Document Server receives the file you want to edit. You edit it, and Document Server returns the modified version back.
The Document Server does not save files on its side.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :hugs:

Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

What does this mean for me in terms of security?

If the file is temporarily transferred from the Nextcloud to the server, at least as long as I am editing it? Then the files could also be accessed on the server?

But as soon as I have edited the file, the server has no access to the file, as it is stored exclusively on my Nextcloud?

@crasher :handshake:

On the ONLYOFFICE Docs, there remains a cache of documents that you edit, but it is quickly cleared.
This is done to speed up reopening the document.

The cache is not immediately deleted after closing the document, but the cache expiration time can be adjusted.

We may be able to assist with this issue if you describe it in more detail. We’ll also need the logs from the document server (/var/log/onlyoffice/documentserver/).