It is not possible to write to an exFAT type partition in Linux

Hi,

I have an exFAT partition on my hard drive. Since Linux, it is not possible for OnlyOffice to write to it, even though the rest of the applications can (like LibreOffice, for example).

When I try to save a document to the exFAT partition it tells me the following:

I have tried various configurations in the /etc/fstab file, but none of them work with OnlyOffice, and as I said before, the rest of the applications can write to the exFAT partition directly.

Regards.

Hi @Alden20 :handshake:
Yes, it seems like a bug.
Let’s start by clarifying the following information:

1. The version of ONLYOFFICE Desktop.
  2. OS + version.
  3. Am I correct in understanding that the issue occurs with all files?
  4. Is ONLYOFFICE on one file system, while saving is done on exFAT?

I must also confirm that the following reasons are ruled out: Possible reasons are:

1. The file is read-only.
  2. The file is being edited by other users.
  3. The disk is full or corrupted.

Hi Nikolas,

Here the data:

1. The version of ONLYOFFICE Desktop.

ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors version 7.5.0.127

I’m using the native version compiled for Arch Linux from the Manjaro repository (I mean, I’m not using any flatpak version, if there is one, which might cause some permissions issues).

2. OS + version.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.111.0
Qt Version: 5.15.11
Kernel Version: 6.6.1-x64v3-xanmod1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 62,2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: Micro Computer (HK) Tech Limited
Product Name: UM580

3. Am I correct in understanding that the issue occurs with all files?

It happens with any file that I try to save to the exFAT partition in Linux from ONLYOFFICE. With the rest of the applications I can save files to that partition without problems or from the KDE Dolphin desktop.

4. Is ONLYOFFICE on one file system, while saving is done on exFAT?

Manjaro is installed on a Btrfs partition, while I have another exFAT partition dedicated for data to be shared with the partition I also have with Windows.

I must also confirm that the following reasons are ruled out: Possible reasons are:

5. The file is read-only.

But if the file doesn’t exist yet, what I’m doing is creating a new document from scratch in ONLYOFFICE and trying to save it to the exFAT partition, and then it shows me the error I mentioned in my previous post when trying to save it.

6. The file is being edited by other users.

No, as I just mentioned above, the file does not even exist yet, I am creating it from scratch in ONLYOFFICE and I am trying to save it to the exFAT partition.

7. The disk is full or corrupted.

Not at all, the exFAT partition is completely accessible in read and write mode from KDE and from any application (LibreOffice, WPS Office, Kate…). It only fails with ONLYOFFICE.

Regards.

I apologize…
There have been numerous questions on the forum in recent weeks, and it seems I may have missed your response.

Thank you for the information provided.
We are already working to understand the issue.

As soon as there is additional information or further questions, I will let you know! :handshake:

@Alden20
I apologize for the long wait.

Can you please clarify if you are using snap, flatpak, or appimage?

Will the issue persist with any of these packaging formats?

I am not using any of them, I have installed the application from the Arch Linux repository, so I assume it will be a version compiled specifically for this Linux.

Regarding this error, for a few weeks OnlyOffice can now write to the exFAT drive, however it would be advisable that you take a look at this because of the errors it gave me at the beginning.

Based on your description, it seems that you updated to the new version of ONLYOFFICE Desktop, and the issue was resolved.