Need dedicated support? Click here
Need dedicated support?
Click here

Is there way to know whether a document is encrypted?

Do encrypted documents show anything on-screen – either when they’re open or in their titles when those appear in a file list – that lets you know they’re encrypted?

Hello,
I believe the similar question was discussed here : What is the difference between "Encrypt" and "Protect Document" In OnlyOffice? - #2 by Alexandre
A user will face ‘enter a password’ pop-up message on file opening attempt. There’re no other indications.

Thanks @Alexandre, this post was different from the other in that here I was only wondering whether I can see an on-screen indication that the document is or isn’t encrypted (e.g., if I have a doc open and can’t remember whether I saved it with encryption).

Apparently not. It would be a useful feature to add in a future update.

Hello @mk7z

I think as an indication that document is encrypted with the password can be icon display of the feature. If you go to the Protection tab and check Encrypt icon - for the unencrypted document it won’t be highlighted and for the encrypted it will. See an example here:
encrypted

Encrypted document above and unencrypted below.

Thanks, @Constantine.

In trying to test this I now I have another problem.

I created an unencrypted backup of a document, intending to encrypt the original and check the information in your message.

However, instead of adding a new separate document, ‘save as’ (to create the copy) replaced the original with the backup in OnlyOffice.

I went to the Mac Finder to open the original (not yet encrypted) doc.

It was there but I can’t seem to get both to open in OnlyOffice at the same time.

When I try to open the original (from the Mac Finder) it doesn’t appear in OnlyOffice.

Only the backup displays in the tabs of open documents.

Can’t one have both ‘saved’ and ‘saved as’ documents open at the same time?