Community Server/Control Panel version: 12.1.1194
Type of installation of Workspace (docker, deb/rpm, exe): exe
OS: Windows Server 2016
Browser version: Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
Hello, I had tried syncing 50,000 users from LDAP in OnlyOffice and encountered an error similar to https:/ /github.com/ONLYOFFICE/CommunityServer/issues/317
This was the message shown to me while the syncing went to 5%:
But even after encountering the error, the error disappeared and it was going on normally and all users from AD where visible in People Tab from the Portal. And everything was working fine.
Later next day, I saw this kind of message on the portal:
So I went in Web.config and changed
<customErrors mode="Off"/> to On to find actual error… Then on the same runtime error page it showed me some other error for a while similar to
Maximum active users exceeded… Then later evening the runtime error message changed to
SqlException: Access Denied for User 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) and with so many errors popping up I re-installed the OS and lost all logs as a result… so please bare with me for lack of proper information.