How to run backend and frontend of onlyoffice at my local machin?

Hello everyone,

I need help running ONLYOFFICE’s backend and frontend on my local machine. Here are the details:
System Setup: I’m using Ubuntu, Node.js, JavaScript, and React.

Current Progress: I have cloned the ONLYOFFICE DocumentServer repository and am trying to run it on my system. I have considered this repository as the main one, assuming it includes both the frontend and backend components.

My Requirements:

1. Running the Code Locally: I need guidance on how to run ONLYOFFICE on my local machine. I am unclear on the steps required to get it running. Once I manage to run it locally, I intend to modify the ONLYOFFICE logo to see the changes in real-time and to gain a better understanding of how the system works.

2. API Integration: I would also like to know how to integrate APIs with ONLYOFFICE, specifically to enable document editing services. For example, suppose I have an application similar to Google Drive. I want to open documents from my drive in the ONLYOFFICE editor, allow users to edit them, and then, upon saving, trigger an API to save the file back to my drive.

Can someone please guide me with detailed document or explanation on how to achieve these requirements? My immediate challenge is getting ONLYOFFICE to run locally and successfully changing the logo.

Thank you in advance for your help!

@ONLYOFFICE_team @linux

Hello @sumit

If your goal to compile ONLYOFFICE Docs (Document Server) on your own server from source code, then please visit this article in our Help Center:
https://helpcenter.onlyoffice.com/installation/docs-community-compile.aspx

Please note that we do not have any instructions on how to modify source code according to your needs.

Officially editor logo can be changed via following parameter:

However, this implies that you have trial or active license of Developer Edition and installation of Document Server is performed via official guides.

In terms of integrating Document Server with your application please visit following sections of our API to find out more information:

Additionally, if you are using React, then you can try using our React component to integrate Document Server via it instead or regular API:

Subject: Request for Step-by-Step Guide to Run ONLYOFFICE Backend and Frontend Locally on Ubuntu 22.04

Hello @Constantine ,

Thank you for your previous response. However, I still need some clarification regarding my specific requirements.

My Requirements:

1. Local Development: I want to run ONLYOFFICE (both backend and frontend) on my local machine using Ubuntu 22.04.
  2. Source Code Modifications: My goal is to make changes to the source code and observe these changes on the UI to better understand the codebase and contribute effectively.

Request:

Could you please provide a “step-by-step guide” or direct me to a “detailed document” that outlines how I can achieve this? Specifically, I need to know:

1. Which repository I should clone for running the backend and frontend together?
  2. The exact steps to get ONLYOFFICE running on my local machine.
  3. How to make changes to the source code (e.g., UI changes) and see those changes reflected when I run the application.
    I’m using Ubuntu 22.04 and have experience with Node.js, JavaScript, and React.

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated as it will help me contribute to the project and understand the codebase more effectively.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Best regards,
sumit singh

As I mentioned, if you require compilation of Document Server, then you need to refer to guide I’ve provided earlier. build_tools repo is here.

Document Server is an tool that you will need to integrate with your storage application an call it from it. In terms of frontend there is only integrated test example available to check out how editors work, i.e. in test purposes only. Integrated test example can be enabled via instruction that will be available after installation on Welcome Page after installation via official guides (link was provided earlier).
Alternatively, you can download and install text example of specific programming language to check how integration can be implemented. Language-specific examples are available here:

These examples should be used on testing purposes only too.

As it was mentioned, we do not have such instructions.