Document text lost and replaced with 504 error!

Today I worked on a document for several hours in OnlyOffice Personal in my browser. I suddenly got a “connection lost” message. When I reloaded the document, the entire text of the document was gone and replaced by an error message:

504 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.

CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. We can’t connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner. If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: l6Ky7UU9FxC3HHJdKqcXnwSUdpByiWvvgBPJ0UjPmmNapT6WyXFbPg==

As in, the entire text of my document was deleted, and this error message was the text instead.

I was able to restore a previous version of the document, but the version was from several hours prior, so I lost a lot of work. This is very upsetting. Is it possible to retrieve the work I lost before the connection error? Otherwise, I hope this bug is fixed because I don’t know whether I can continue trusting OnlyOffice.

Hello @SceoMyntan
Please accept our sincere apologies for this situation. Two days ago we faced temporary difficulties with the Personal, but we fixed the situation quickly. We hope such a situation does not occur again.
We provide the best solutions for our users and I can assure you that we will do everything to ensure that such situation does not arise again.

This just happened to a document I was working on again. It doesn’t seem to be fixed.

Hello @SceoMyntan
No issues were detected for the last few days. All services are running smoothly.
If you face this situation again, please open browser console (F12 in Google Chrome) and make screenshots of any error entry in the Console and Network tabs. It would help us to figure out the situation.

This might be necroposting, and if it is then I’m sorry, but this is the only relevant thing I can find when doing a Google search for the error.
I have a document that works perfectly fine, and a second document that started throwing the 504 error earlier today. The message is the exact same as OP’s, with the exception of the Request ID, which is -8tZyJrPsdNeg6U6Gpx4zGl4dbdu5RQychs27-rpRfpoHfOB_e0NgA==
I followed Alexandre’s advice to OP, and took screenshots. However, since a message appeared saying that new users can only attach 1 file to their posts, I’ve edited it into one image. I also noticed there were Issues listed next to the errors, so I took a screenshot of that as well.

(The warnings are just about the Milanote browser extension. Since my other document works perfectly fine, I can’t imagine the Milanote extension being the cause.)
Just in case it’s helpful for diagnosing the issue, the OS I’m on is Windows 11 (version 22H2, OS build 22621.3007), the browser I’m using is Vivaldi (version 6.5.3206.57 (Stable channel)), and Vivaldi lists my JavaScript version as V8 12.0.267.18.

Hello @Nat
Thank you for the screenshot.
Please clarify if the issue persists at the moment with this very file. If so, please reproduce the issue one more time and record a video file. Additionally, please confirm that you are using ONLYOFFICE Personal.
P.S. I have increased your account level, you are able to post a few images instantly now.

Hi @Alexandre
I am indeed using OnlyOffice Personal, based off of this logo in the top-left corner when I look at all of my documents.
The issue is persisting with that file, while the second file is still perfectly fine.
Here’s a recording of the issue.

Thank you for the provided video file, we are checking the situation.

The strange thing is the file in your video has 1 kb size. Please clarify where this file was created (which app). Also please check if you are able to create new files on the Personal portal.

The file was created in the browser, by copy+pasting from another word processing app I use (which doesn’t have any real-time collaboration). If memory serves, it was originally a lot larger than 1kb before it turned into the 504 error.
And yes, I am able to create new documents. The new document is reporting its size as 6.78kb despite being completely empty:

All three of these files were created through the browser version of the app.
Should I try to create a new spreadsheet/presentation as well?

Out of curiosity, should I try restoring a prior version of the lost/corrupted/whatever-happened-to-it document? Or should I leave it alone until you’re able to figure out what caused the problem in the first place?

Yes, this is expected behavior. That’s why 1 kb file seems to be corrupted.

Out of curiosity, should I try restoring a prior version of the lost/corrupted/whatever-happened-to-it document? Or should I leave it alone until you’re able to figure out what caused the problem in the first place?

Let’s run a few tests. Please try to download Ver.1 locally via context menu from your screenshot. Will local copy contain any data? If not, please try to restore ver.1 and check if it contains any data.
Please let us know the result.

I downloaded Ver.1, and I can confirm that the local copy contains data. It seems to have everything that was there before the document got replaced with the 504 error.

A couple nights ago I got this bug again for the first time since my last reply, except it was a 502 error instead of 504. Thanks, @Nat, for posting the diagnostic materials in the meantime, and thanks to the OnlyOffice team for looking into it.

Hello @Nat

I downloaded Ver.1, and I can confirm that the local copy contains data. It seems to have everything that was there before the document got replaced with the 504 error.

Well done, I hope it resolved the situation. However, I still don’t have the exact issue scenario to check it out. If you can reproduce the situation step-by-step through described earlier scenario (‘The file was created in the browser, by copy+pasting from another word processing app I use’) it would help us to check it out.

Hello @SceoMyntan
I’m checking if there were any issues for the last few days on the Personal, I’ll come back as soon as possible.

I’m not entirely sure how to reproduce the issue myself, since from my perspective it happened randomly. All I know is this:

1. Created the new OnlyOffice document
  2. Copied+pasted the content of a Google Doc into the new OnlyOffice document
  3. Copied+pasted the content of a Campfire manuscript into the OnlyOffice document
  4. Changed some settings (the font style for Headings and Normal, some layout settings)
  5. Gave the external access link to my cowriter (after ensuring that the external access link for Test Document worked for them)
  6. Left the tab open for when the cowriter got around to opening the document and editing it
  7. A few times I would come back to the tab and find a message saying that I needed to reload the page (I don’t remember the exact wording, just that it said I needed to reload the page for some reason)
  8. The last time this happened for the AWL v2 document, I refreshed the page and was greeted with the 504 error

Beyond that, I’m not sure how the issue could be reproduced. The AWL v2 document was created January 23, 2024 - it didn’t get replaced with the 504 error message until January 27, 2024. Test Document was created on the same day as the AWL v2 document, and it also prompted me to reload the page as often as the AWL v2 document did, but it’s still perfectly intact.
I’ve held off on restoring the AWL v2 document to the previous version, out of concern that the issue could happen again since it’s still being diagnosed/looked into. Granted, I do have the local copy as a backup, but beyond using that backup to create a brand new document I’m not sure how useful that’d be in this case.
EDIT: I just restored the prior version of the AWL v2 document, and it looks to be back to how it was before the 504 error. However, I’m still concerned about the possibility of the document getting lost/replaced/corrupted/whatever-happened-to-it again.

Hello @SceoMyntan
No issues were detected on our side within the specified time.

Hello @Nat
I’m glad that the situation is solved. However, without the ability to reproduce the issue, it’s difficult to say what went wrong. Please contact us, if you face similar issue again, perhaps it will be possible to collect additional data to figure out the exact scenario.
Sorry for inconvenience.

Hello, I just lost the last version of my report with the 504 error. If I try to open the same document in another tab I get the following hanging screen:

These are the logs:

https://i.imgur.com/qgAi2GR.png (since I cannot upload more than one embedded media)

The document itself was created from scratch using the Desktop version of OnlyOffice and then uploaded to the online version. I tried sharing it on my public room and then moved the same file back to its default folder (same file id on all operations, it started asking for login on an incognito window after some time, so I gave up) before closing it. I opened it today (after about 30h), but the text was then replaced by the error.

Hello @jrom

Do you mean the Personal?

I think so, but I’m not sure. It’s the free online version that uses the URL https://jrom.onlyoffice.com/