Desktop editors poor performance Wayland Ubuntu 24.04

I am not certain whether this is a bug or mis-configuration (or possibly both).

Since upgrading my desktop computer to Ubuntu 24.04, I have very poor and somewhat weird performance in OnlyOffice Desktop Editors only when working in a Wayland session. That is, everything seems fine when running in an X windows session. The problems I see under Wayland are primarily:

1. The part of the window containing the document occasionally becomes transparent, showing whatever is under the editor window. The surrounding controls, menu bar etc remain in place and visible.

2. Inserting text is very “laggy”, to the point of being almost impossible to use. What I mean by this is that text appears a couple of seconds after being typed, which becomes a huge problem when for example trying to correct a spelling mistake.

Here is my configuration:

• OnlyOffice version 8.0.1.31 (deb) installed using apt
  • Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, fresh install on new M2SSD, updated as updates offered
  • GNOME version 46
  • Kernel 6.8.0-35-generic
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 32GB memory 1TB M2SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, Samsung 5120 X 1440 120Hz monitor 100% scale fractional scaling off
  • NVIDIA driver version 535 (proprietary, tested) recommended

It may be worth mentioning that I ran into two Wayland - NVIDIA driver issues when I moved from Ubuntu 23.10 to 24.04:

I am happy to test configuration changes or patches or whatever to move this ahead. Thanks very much in advance.

Hi, @Bonzini :wave:

Could you please provide a video recording that demonstrates the issues you’ve described?

Hello Nikolas, happy to send you a video. Would you prefer I upload to say Google and share, or right here? It’s a little less than 20MB.

@Bonzini :hugs:

Yes, please provide a link to the video.

Unfortunately, we have a file size limit of 14.6 MB for uploads.

Thank you!

Ok, here is the video. You can see that my typing explains the situation (I hope!).

I was unable to get the “full glory” of momentary transparency and screen flashing on this try. Please let me know if you need more.Screen share video showing some OnlyOffice misbehaviour under Ubuntu 24.04 Wayland NVIdia

1 Like

Thank you for demonstrating the issue! :+1:

We need some time to reproduce the problem.
Once we have more information or additional questions, I’ll get back to you.

Thanks again for taking the time to create a video recording of the problem.

You are most welcome, Nikolas. I have some more info to add that I hope is useful to you.

I just tried a similar experiment on my laptop, which is an i7-8750H running Ubuntu - Wayland 24.04 with an Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2).

I can see no odd behaviour whatsoever on this platform - no weird laggy jumping on the last two characters typed, no flashing of the screen between tab selections, no transparent events.

I recorded it if you want to see it.

So I guess this points to something odd in the NVidia 3060 / NVidia driver / Wayland / whatever else combination on the desktop machine.

Please let me know if there’s anything you would like me to test further. And thanks for looking into this.

(seems like there’s always another reason to wait for the next round for Wayland… I use some QT-based software that’s also unhappy on Wayland).

1 Like

@Bonzini
Thank you for the info, I believe this will help our team. :hugs:
As soon as we have additional information or any questions, I will get back to you.