Critical Bug in Zotero Plugin for ONLYOFFICE

Thank you very much for your time! Also, can i add a custom bibliography style to the zotero plugin?

Hello @stefanstavrianos
We need some time to check it out. I will update this thread when we have something to share.

Thank you very much, @Alexandre. I trust you will have a pleasant time ahead. Additionally, I would like to propose a highly beneficial feature that would allow all users to tailor the bibliography section to their needs. Currently, the bibliography is presented as a single, continuous paragraph. It would be more advantageous if each entry in the bibliography were delineated as a separate paragraph. Such a modification would facilitate easier customization of the layout for each user.

1 Like

Currently, the bibliography is presented as a single, continuous paragraph. It would be more advantageous if each entry in the bibliography were delineated as a separate paragraph

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Understood, we will check it out too. I will come back to you when we have something to share.

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Thank you for your suggestion regarding the implementation of custom bibliography styles adding. We have spoken internally and decided to start working on it.
I will update this thread when we have something to share.

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the anticipated release schedule for the next update of the Zotero plugin for ONLYOFFICE. As a user who frequently utilizes this plugin for research and academic purposes, understanding the timeline for any upcoming enhancements or fixes would be greatly beneficial.

Could you kindly provide any available information regarding the release date? Your assistance in this matter would be highly appreciated, as it would aid in planning and optimizing my workflow.

Thank you for your attention to this inquiry and for your continued support in improving the user experience with ONLYOFFICE and its integrations.

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Sorry for the late reply.
Right now we are focused on Document server v.7.6 and DocSpace v.2.0 releases. It is hard to say the ETA for Zotero update (the mentioned suggestions). I will update this thread when I have specific ETA.
If it is highly critical for you, there’s an additional way - to contact our Sales team to discuss possible options of solution: Get dedicated support

Dear @stefanstavrianos
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this behavior on our side. We will keep this thread open in case of additional information from other users. So far I can suggest trying to clear the Desktop app cache, removing the plugin and installing it again from the Plugin manager. I hope it will resolve the situation.

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to follow up on a previous discussion we had a few months ago regarding the discrepancies in the formatting of bibliographies in OnlyOffice, particularly in comparison to the APA 7th Edition standards.

Firstly, I apologize for the delayed response. To provide a clearer picture of the issue at hand, I have prepared a document that illustrates the differences in the APA 7th Edition bibliography formatting between OnlyOffice and LibreOffice. This comparison highlights the specific areas where OnlyOffice’s formatting deviates from the standard APA guidelines, which are widely adhered to in academic and research publications.

I am currenctly using the latest Desktop Editors and my OS is Zorin lite (XFCE).

compare.pdf (109.0 KB)

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Thank you for the file. Do I understand it right that citation in general works correctly, but issue is related to text formatting (e.g. line spacing, font, font style)?
If you can point me to APA Formatting and Style Guide correct link for my reference, I would appreciate it as well. I’ve found this one: APA Formatting and Style Guide (7th Edition) - Purdue OWL® - Purdue University

Dear @Alexandre

Yes, you are correct. The general citation functionality in OnlyOffice works correctly. The issue I am encountering is specifically related to text formatting, such as line spacing, font, and font style, which are essential for proper APA 7th Edition compliance. To assist further in ensuring adherence to these standards, I recommend checking the Zotero Style Repository at https://www.zotero.org/styles. This site provides a wide array of citation styles, including the APA 7th Edition, which could be very useful for our purpose. I recommend checking the “Guide to APA Formatting and Style.” This document elaborates on the essential formatting and style elements of the APA Publication Manual and should provide a clear benchmark for identifying the discrepancies in OnlyOffice’s formatting​​.
apa.pdf (389.8 KB)

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Thank you for the detailed description. We are checking the situation.

1 Like

Dear @stefanstavrianos
We have added a bug to internal track system on the described situation (differences in the APA 7th Edition bibliography formatting). We have started working on it. I will update this thread once we have something to share.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt attention to the issue regarding the discrepancies in the APA 7th Edition bibliography formatting. Your commitment to addressing this matter is highly appreciated.

I would like to suggest a potential enhancement for the system. It may be beneficial to synchronize all bibliography styles with the comprehensive repository available at Zotero Styles.

This integration could ensure that the most current and diverse citation styles are readily available for users. Furthermore, I propose the implementation of an automatic update feature within the Zotero plugin. This feature would enable the plugin to automatically incorporate new styles added to Zotero’s repository, thereby maintaining an up-to-date and efficient bibliography management system.

This approach could significantly enhance the user experience by providing a seamless and consistently updated citation tool, aligning with the dynamic nature of academic referencing standards.

For your convenience and reference, the source code for Zotero can be found at Zotero’s GitHub repository, where you can explore its functionalities and potential integrations in depth.

Hello @stefanstavrianos
Thank you for your sharing, we are looking into it. I will update this thread once we have something.

1 Like

Hello @stefanstavrianos

I’d like to inform you that we have registered a suggestion to enhance functionality of Zotero plugin that is related to the styles of citation and bibliography. This is quite a task and might take some time to implement the changes as they rely not only on changes in the plugin itself but also on changes in the editors too.

Thank you very much for your contribution. Once any news come up, we will surely notify you.

1 Like

Hello @Alexandre

Thank you very much for your time. Have a nice time.

Hello @Constantine ,

I hope this message finds you well.

Following up on our previous correspondence, I am writing to inquire about the progress regarding the enhancement of the Zotero plugin, specifically related to the citation and bibliography styles. As it has been a few months, I am keen to know if there have been any developments or if a timeline for the implementation of these changes has been established.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your update.

Dear @stefanstavrianos
We thank you for reporting issues in this thread. We are actively working to fix them. However, the work is still in progress and we are not ready to provide ETA at the moment.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the length of the situation. We will update this thread once we have something to share.

1 Like

Dear @Alexandre,

Thank you for your prompt response and for acknowledging the issues reported in this thread. I appreciate your dedication to resolving these matters and understand that the work is still in progress.

I understand the complexities involved and the necessity of time for a thorough resolution. I appreciate your transparency and look forward to the updates when more information is available.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

1 Like