Create plugin that adds VIM-like functionality

Hello OnlyOffice Community,

I hope all of you are doing great. My name is Gregory and I am a student in Computer Science and for some time I wanted to be involved in contributing to open source projects. Recently, I’ve been exploring the idea of creating a VIM-like plugin for OnlyOffice. I believe this addition could offer an alternative editing experience to users who are accustomed to VIM’s powerful and efficient text editing capabilities.

Before I dive into this project, I’d like to gather your input and insights to ensure that this is a direction the community and developers are interested in pursuing.

1. So first and foremost I would like to ask if you believe that a VIM-like plugin for OnlyOffice would be a valuable and interesting addition to the editor.

2. If yes, are there any existing efforts or projects related to VIM-like functionality in OnlyOffice that I should be aware of? I searched in the forum but I could not find something related.

3. If this idea gains support, could you provide technical guidance or information about the plugin development process and any specific APIs or hooks that can be leveraged for this purpose?

I am by no means an experienced programmer but the idea of contributing and learning by doing something like that excites me. I have some experience in C++, JavaScript and Java, but I am willing to work on my skills in order to start creating this plugin.

Of course anyone who is on board with this idea/project can provide insight and suggestions on if and how this plugin can be created.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in this thread, and let’s start a conversation about the possibility of integrating VIM-like functionality into OnlyOffice.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,
Gregory

1 Like

Hello @Gregory :handshake:

I’ll gather more information and get back to you with a response.

I appreciate your willingness to assist our community. :hugs:

1 Like

@Gregory i’m back

1. I can’t speak for the entire community, but I think this would be a great feature for the editor.
  1. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any similar projects or mentions. :face_with_peeking_eye:
  1. Rest assured, this idea will receive support. At the very least, from our side, if you have any questions or issues, we will do our best to assist you.

We’re delighted that the idea of contributing to the community is gaining popularity for the product…

In general, the plugin development is described here: https://api.onlyoffice.com/plugin/basic
For all plugin examples, there is a link to GitHub where you can view the source code.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.