Can't access Onlyoffice throught Nextcloud using Tailscale

I recently bought a Home Server licence and was asked to post my support request here. I’m trying to explain the situation as clearly as possible. If someone needs more information, please let me know.

My main goal is to be able to edit documents with Onlyoffice while not being directly connected to my home LAN but connected through my tailscale VPN to my home LAN.

I have Onlyoffice Docs enterprise edition installed in a docker container on a VM in Proxmox. On the same VM in Proxmox, in a separate docker container, I have installed Nextcloud.

The docker run command for Onlyoffice:
sudo docker run -i -t -d -p 8181:80
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/logs:/var/log/onlyoffice
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/data:/var/www/onlyoffice/Data
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/lib:/var/lib/onlyoffice
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/rabbitmq:/var/lib/rabbitmq
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/redis:/var/lib/redis
-v /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/db:/var/lib/postgresql
onlyoffice/documentserver-ee

When I’m connected directly to my LAN, everything works fine as expected using my browser.
When I’m connected to my LAN using tailscale, Onlyoffice isn’t working:

On my laptop, not connected to my LAN:
I can login into Nextcloud by accessing http://100.93.254.90:8080
When I click on a filename (test.docx for example) I just see the Nextcloud wallpaper and nothing happens.

I prefer not to open any ports on my router (that’s why I’m using tailscale) but I actually did forward 80/443 to my nginx reverse proxy (I installed and ran nginx just for this test). I added the A record, enabled SSL using Let’s encrypt and I can login to Nextcloud by going to https://cloud.mydomain.com, but when opening a file: ONLYOFFICE cannot be reached. Please contact admin

On my phone:
Same thing, but I get the message ONLYOFFICE cannot be reached. Please contact admin. To make matters worse, I am the admin.

It’s driving me nuts and I’ve spend hours and hours searching and testing, but I give up. Can someone point me into the right direction?

I was so much focussed on the wrong things that I missed the obvious.
The Onlyoffice docs address in Nextcloud also should be in the tailscale network.
I changed it, saved it, and it works :slight_smile:

1 Like