App crashes without any reason

Hello

Today the editors crashed while I woke up my computer. Nothing new under the sun since the last time I reported that kind of issue.
However, something more disturbing also happened today : the editors (the “Only office desktop editors” window and a word processor window) crashed while I was not doing anything special (just reading the doc I was working on).
Consequence : 1h of unsaved work lost.

To me this is a really serious issue : loosing work is something I did not experienced since MSO 2003, and clearly it is a serious reason to switch to another software.
Clearly, when I advice people to use this or that office suite, I’m not comfortable advising an app that can cause work loss.
I’m not expecting you to solve “my” issue in the minute, but I think you should seriously consider an auto-save mechanism to be added quickly in OO.
I my opinion, some more robust login solution to investigate desktop bugs & crashes.

Thanks for taking this opinion into account.

FYI : yesterday I installed the last update.
PS : crashes on wake-up were more occasional with the last 7.x version. 8.0 made things bad again.
PPS : Bellow the report from the windw’s event watcher:
Nom de l’application défaillante editors.exe, version : 8.0.1.31, horodatage : 0x65d55fc7
Nom du module défaillant : ascdocumentscore.dll, version : 8.0.1.31, horodatage : 0x65d55efb
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x000000000012945d
ID du processus défaillant : 0x0x6E88
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x0x1DA695435087048
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\ONLYOFFICE\DesktopEditors\editors.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files\ONLYOFFICE\DesktopEditors\ascdocumentscore.dll
ID de rapport : 1437115c-813c-4bc1-b3e1-da6ab0ef0fb1
Nom complet du package défaillant :
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :

FYI, the recovery folder from the unsaved file.
The media (ie pictures pasted in the doc) are here, but not the modification made in the file itself.

Warning : I zipped the folder and changed the extension
from .zip to .docx to be able to upload it here
recover folder.docx (1.7 MB)

Hello @arcqus

We are sad to know that you’ve faced such issue. Were there any specific environmental conditions when this had happened? E.g. laptop with opened Desktop Editor was connected to a projector like it is frequently done or laptop was booted up from sleep mode? Also, do you still use Open file > In its own window option? Any clues might be helpful to reproduce the issue and analyze it.

As for the attached file: please describe from which folder it was taken and also specify the structure of a folder you’ve uploaded. Did it have all these files in a mentioned folder including .xml, .docx, etc?

UPD: please try following solution to restore the document:

1. Navigate to folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ONLYOFFICE\DesktopEditors\data\recover\ and create new folder with name, for instance, \DE_CC04;
  2. Unpack content of provided archive to newly created folder;
  3. Open Desktop Editors;
  4. From Recover files section open your document;
  5. Re-save this document with changes.

After that, recovery folder that you’ve created will be removed as file was recovered.

That way, document will be saved with all last changes. Please let me know if your changes correspond to the latest ones that you’ve made.

1 Like

Hello @Constantine

From your update, I get that you found out that this “file” was from the OO “recover” folder.

Ok here I discovered something today !
I knew the “recover file” section in OO BUT all I saw in it was old files from months ago.
The few time I glimpsed in this part, it was also very slow to scroll…
All this leading me to give up, assuming this section only contained random files.
So following your instructions, I looked more carefully and found my file (no need to unpack what I sent, it was still there).
I opened it… my changes were still missing :face_with_diagonal_mouth: . Heck, what’s the point of a recover section if you don’t recover what you’ve lost (that’s what I thought)

A little disappointed, I did :

And here they are, all my lost changes are back in my doc !
Hooray, @Constantine you’re the best !

From that discussion, I would strongly suggest you 2 evolutions to be added in OO asap:

1. in the “recover file” section, sort files with the most recent at the top (that should be easy and I don’t get why it is not the case yet)
  2. when a file is opened from the “recover files” section, “lost” changes should be directly displayed and a message should advise the user to save it in it’s working folder.
    In MSO, if I remember correctly, when you restart it after a crash, it automatically reopen the unsaved files. Maybe that’s the more user-friendly solution.

I guess these 2 changes should not be to hard to do but from my standpoint they are must-haves.
I don’t think I’m a noob and yet it took me one year and loads of frustration regarding OO before to know how this essential functionality is actually here and working.

Thanks again, have a good day.

I’m glad to know that provided recovery steps helped to restore all content of your document. Actual thanks to @Nikolas who provided the solution.

Do you mean sort files in Recover files section by time it was opened before issues from latest to oldest?

In case of your document, when I followed those steps to recover the document, I opened your document from Recover files section and the document was with all changes and unsaved, hence editor prompted me to re-save the document to actually recover it.
Once such issue with editors termination has occurred, basically the same scenario should happen but without necessity to load the files to \recover\ folder. Wasn’t it the case for you? Did you open failed document after the crash from Recover files section and it didn’t show the changes in the first place and prompted to re-save the document?

Yes

When I re opened it, changes were absent and I don’t remember any message asking me to re-save the doc.
I tried with a file present in the “recover files” section, I got no prompt.

Thank you for elaborating on sorting of the files in Recover files section. We will take closer look at your suggestion.

Probably I was quite unclear in my statement, apologies for that. The point is that when you open a file from Recovery files section, this file is presented as new, i.e. unsaved, (you can see an asterisk (*) near the file name that indicates that), thus in order to recover the file completely you have to resave it. If you attempt closing this document after opening file for recovery the editor will warn you that the file is not saved and will suggest saving it as new file to save all changes. So to say, you can make changes to the document too but after that editor will prompt you to re-save it anyway.

After brief discussion we decided to register an enhancement suggestion to add sorting capabilities, e.g. by date, type, name, etc., to all sections in Recent tab. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any exact time frames for implementation so once it is done, I will notify you.

1 Like

Hello
Ok, but I still don’t get why, when you open the doc from the recovery file section, the changes are absent and you need to save it and reopen it to get the changes displayed.
99% of users not having seen our conversation will simply think that changes were lost (That’s what I thought).
So either there still is a misunderstanding or malfunction on my computer, or there is room for a very important improvement.
Thanks

Generally speaking, provided scenario to restore your document with your files falls down to my description. If you put files into recover folder, open the editors and click the file in Recover section, it will open the doc with all changes. I believe the situation with absent changes is a particular case.