OnlyOffice community edition in NextCloud: problems with new documents

I have installed ONLYOFFICE Community Edition on our NextCloud installation on our home NAS (latest version of NextCloud on latest Synology software). It appears to open existing Office documents correctly, but creating a new document doesn’t seem to work. Could there be some simple problem with the access rights on directories or something like that? Or perhaps missing templates?

When I click on one of the new document tabs on the NextCloud screen (webbrowser on a Mac laptop) nothing happens. Is there a log somewhere that might give me a hint what is going wrong, perhaps?

Any ideas where to look?

Many thanks

David Christie

Hello @DTC57
Please note that we recommend clean separate server for Document server installation. We didn’t test installation on NAS server, so we can’t predict possible issues. You might face issues with dependencies and port conflicts.
Please follow official installation ways:Installation Guides - Docs Community Edition - ONLYOFFICE

As for the issue in general, the Document server logs are located here:
docker: /app/onlyoffice/DocumentServer/logs/documentserver/
deb\rpm: /var/log/onlyoffice/documentserver/
Windows: Program Files\ONLYOFFICE\DocumentServer\log

Which guide did you use in your test?

Hi Alexandre

I used this link https://nextcloud.com/blog/how-to-install-onlyoffice-in-nextcloud-hub-and-new-integration-feature/ to install Community Edition.

After successfully running that installation, the rest was carried out in the nextcloud user interface.

And as if by magic, it seems to be working now. I created a file and edited it. Maybe I was too impatient, and maybe I had to give the document a file name. Or maybe an intervening update has put something right.

I notice that the syncing of the updates is rather slow: perhaps nextcloud has an issue to notice the changes or is it some other reason?

Thanks, David

Hello @DTC57

I used this link How to install ONLYOFFICE in Nextcloud Hub - Nextcloud to install Community Edition.

This is not our product. A few years ago Nextcloud team forked old version of Document server and changed its source code. We have description of the situation here: Community Document Server app in Nextcloud 18

We always recommend to use official guides and products: Installation Guides - Docs Community Edition - ONLYOFFICE

I cannot troubleshoot your installation or provide any guarantees of stable work, because we did not create this version of the app. If you are going to use Document server with Nextcloud, I would recommend to take a look at official guides and follow them.